Sunday, March 6, 2016

A  NIGHTMARE WITHOUT PARENTAL SUPERVISION 


"A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master" (1988)
Directed by Renny Harlin
    
   There was a time, when movies that I wanted to see didn't play at my local theater right away. I remember in 1988, "A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master" was released and I didn't have a chance to see it on opening weekend. As a young whippersnapper, I was incredibly disappointed.
    Not long after, I remember visiting my grandparents. When I got there, I found out that "Elm St 4" was playing at a theater near their home. I begged them to take me, but there was no way that Grandma and Grandpa had any interest in seeing the latest Freddy movie...or any Freddy movie. My Grandpa, being the totally awesome guy that he was, had a great idea. He took me to the theater and stood in line by himself. He bought one adult ticket to the R rated horror flick that he had no intention of watching. Once he had it in his hands, he slyly palmed me the ticket and told me that he would pick me up in front of the theater after the film was over. I knew how special of a moment, this was, I had to play this off smooth. With no adult guardian, it was my job to slip into the screening room as though I could have been there with an adult and draw absolutely no attention to myself, so as not to get kicked out. I did this with ease.
   In my mind, this was all a much bigger deal than it actually was.
   It felt like magic to see this film in the theater without an adult. It was like I was getting away with a crime.
   For the record, this is the "Elm St" film where a kid gets turned into a pizza and Freddy eats him. It's also the one where a dog pisses fire. Not Freddy's best, but unfortunately, not his worst either. At the time, I thought it was incredible. 
   Weeks later, "Elm St 4" finally came to my area and played at a theater near me. All of my friends were excited. I felt like Mr. Cool, because I had already seen it.
   Thanks Grandpa. I miss you.

(Artwork by Isaac Keith Martinez)

No comments: