Friday, March 20, 2015

ONCE UPON A TIME IN MIAMI

"Miami Vice"
TV Series (Five Seasons) 1984-1989
Executive Producer: Michael Mann

   When I was a kid, I loved the hip TV cop show, "Miami Vice".
I was Sonny Crockett for Halloween, one year. I drew a five o' clock shadow on my face and everything. Although I watched every week, I did not see every episode.
Now, as an adult, I have completed something that I had not accomplished as a child, by watching the entire series on Netflix.
(Also available on DVD)
  
   For those not familiar with this cool television classic from the 1980s: Sonny Crockett (Don Johnson) and Rico Tubbs (Phillip Michael Thomas) are undercover vice cops in Miami. Although most of the villains on this show are coke dealers, there are also pimps, murderers, gang members, mafia and other riff raff featured as well. Most of these other criminals seem to also use, buy or sell cocaine. This show has more cocaine in it than "The Cocaine Show" and that ain't even a show.
   A strong appeal for me is the endless amount of moments of the show that are so dated, they become an oddity. Each episode features the tackiest fashion, hair styles, and dancing in night clubs that this decade had to offer.  Every thing seems to be covered in neon lights and pastels.
Have you ever seen the office of a police lieutenant colored pink?
Would you like to?
  
   This show is a time capsule featuring engaging stories, powerful acting and slick production. Each episode feels less like a TV show and more like a film. The action scenes  are exciting and violent. The soundtrack is a great combination of 80s pop/rock music and a score that captures the feel of the decade and the excitement of the action. Lead actors, Don Johnson and Phillip Michael Thomas are believably hip and heroic. Their characters, Crockett and Tubbs are super cool. Plus, episodes are filled with many guest stars that include musicians and actors that are both famous and obscure. In one episode, I spotted Suicidal Tendencies performing live at a club!
  
   There are 111 episodes. I watched every one in the order that they appear on Netflix.
Here is a tip to anyone interested in watching this show without having to suffer through the shock of seeing the series conclude BEFORE you have seen every episode.
(Yes. That happened to me.)
This information also benefits DVD box set owners as well, you lucky dogs.
   After watching Episode 16: "Victims of Circumstance" in Season Five, skip to Episode 18 (Episode 19, on Netflix):"World of Trouble". Then, continue watching until you reach the end. After doing this, go back to Episode 17: "Freefall" (which will be a 2-part episode on Netflix). This is the finale of the series.
   When it originally aired in 1989, four episodes of Season Five did not air. These episodes were seen for the first time on television during reruns. The good people over at Netflix must fancy themselves to be television historians, because these "lost episodes" appear AFTER the Series Finale in the playlist order of Season Five.
   I was not prepared to see the conclusion of the series when I watched, "Freefall". I was shocked, confused and quite frankly, VERY upset. (Shakes fist at the screen like an old man.) After research, I discovered the information that I just shared with you and vowed to warn anyone who takes on "Miami Vice" of this flaw.
Your haunted buddy is looking out for you.

I would now like to give a shout out to all the women out there who had a scene in "Miami Vice" as a night clubbing hot chick on coke.
You are probably a mom by now. I hope you are proud of your "Miami Vice" moment. I would be.
Peace and love to all the Coke Moms.

(Artwork by Isaac Keith Martinez)

No comments: