Sunday, February 21, 2016

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE, BRING A SWEATER 

"The X-Files: I Want to Believe"(2008)
Directed by Chris Carter 
    Have you ever changed your mind about a sequel? I have. Sometimes it's as easy as re-watching a film and finding that it played different to you, the second time. But in the case of sequels, I find that a Part 2 can play different to me, once there is a Part 3. Why? Because, before a third film is made, that second film is considered the end of the story. I find myself hating how the story ended. However, with the addition of a Part 3, the second film in the series now serves as a bridge between the first and the third film. I re-watch the second film and notice that information is provided in the film that make the third film more enjoyable by having this ammo.
   
    I recently had this change of heart happen to me to a sequel, without the benefit of a third film being made, but for the same reason that I usually accept a sequel. That film is: "The X-Files: I Want to Believe". I have always hated that this film was the last chapter in the epic journey of Special Agent Fox Mulder. This is no longer the case. With The X-Files continuing after this film with additional television episodes (returning after its cancellation in 2002), this film plays different to me.
   Now, it no longer has to be the film that explains: How did it all end for Fox Mulder? Now, it simply explains: How did the FBI drop all their charges against Fox Mulder, allowing him to come out of hiding? That is ALL it had to do and it did. The fact that the film plays as a weak "Monster of the Week" episode without a monster, no longer matters. I'm so forgiving of this film now, that I can actually enjoy watching it. I now enjoy the case that Mulder and Scully are on. I enjoy Billy Connolly's performance of a sympathetic character that should not be forgiven (no spoilers here if you haven't seen it, yet). I enjoy Fox's reunion moment with Skinner.
   This is not (nor do I think it will ever be) the X-Files film that I want it to be. "The X-Files: Fight the Future" is much more that film. But, hopefully a return to television now unlocks the doors for The X-Files to return to the silver screen.

(Artwork by Isaac Keith Martinez)

No comments: