Saturday, August 24, 2019

HERE'S MY PITCH ON STITCH 

"Lilo & Stitch" (2002)
Directed by Chris Sanders & Dean DeBlois
"Stitch! The Movie" (2003)
Directed by Tony Craig & Jess Winfield
"Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has A Glitch" (2005)
Directed by Michael LaBash & Tony Leondis
"Leroy & Stitch" (2006)
Directed by Tony Craig & Roberts "Bobs" Gannaway

   There's an animated franchise of Hawaii-based Science Fiction films that exists, and I need to touch upon why this is special to me. I live in Hawaii. In fact, I was born and raised in Hawaii. Seeing Hawaii in films is rare for me. Allow me to celebrate that Hawaii is the backdrop of Disney's animated tetralogy of Alien Films from The Aughts. The fact that Hawaii is in these cute, fun films, makes them even more special to me.
   When I first saw "Lilo & Stitch" when it was released in 2002, I liked it but didn't love it (even though I loved the design of Stitch). Upon revisiting it, I find it more enjoyable than ever. It not only feels vintage by being an actual old school animated film and not a CGI one, but the older I get, the younger I feel in my silly brain, so it hits all the right spots. Let's talk about this 2002 theatrical film and it's three straight to video/made for TV sequels.
   First I'll talk about the plots of each film, then explain my feelings for them:

"Lilo & Stitch" (2002)
   Space: A mad scientist named Jumba, is on trial for creating an unstoppable creature of chaos. The creature (Experiment 626) is sentenced to exile, but escapes to Earth where he pretends to be a dog and becomes adopted by a young Hawaiian girl named Lilo. Lilo is being raised by her 19 year old sister, Nani due to the death of their parents. Nani is being observed and routinely visited by a social worker named, Cobra Bubbles (voiced by Ving Rhames, who looks exactly like his Marsellus Wallace character from "Pulp Fiction"). Being the right parental figure is challenging for Nani to pull off, since Lilo (who is already a hand full) is also dealing with Stitch, who is quite the Hellraiser.
   Jumba and an agent named, Pleakley are sent to Earth to retrieve Stitch. All kinds of shenanigans ensue, all to the musical backdrop of Lilo's favorite singer, Elvis Presley.

   When the film starts, I feel like I could enjoy watching these creatively designed alien characters spend the whole movie in space. (This feeling doesn't return by the time I get to the fourth film, when this kinda happens.) I quickly change my mind when the film moves to Earth, taking place on the island of Kauaʻi. I appreciate that this backdrop is totally different than what I've seen before in Alien Encounter Films. Seeing Stitch, Jumba and Pleakley in a tropical setting is visually beautiful. Considering how darn cute they are, they fit in like rare tropical animals.
   This movie has the perfect balance between the stories about the bond that Lilo makes with Stitch as he reforms from bad to good and the challenge of trying to keep him safe from the aliens that are there to take him back. At 85 minutes, this is an easy, breezy watch.
   With animated films, it's a big deal for me to like the look of it. Loving the design of Stitch is very important in my attraction to this brand. On a side note, I want to mention that I get a kick out of characters that are voiced by people that I love. Agent Pleakley is not only voiced by a member of the brilliant sketch comedy group, The Kids In The Hall-but he's voiced by my favorite member, Kevin McDonald.

"Stitch! The Movie" (2003)
   An evil scientist named Dr. Hämsterviel, wants to retrieve the 625 other experiments for naughty purposes. He kidnaps Jumba (who lives on Earth, along with Pleakley to keep an eye on Stitch) for ransom in exchange for the experiments. Meanwhile, Lilo & Stitch are having a heck of a time trying to track down one of the experiments that got away, (Experiment 221: "Sparky") who likes to mess with electricity.

   This straight to DVD film is only an hour long. At first I felt it was false advertising to put the words: "The Movie" in it's title, being that it's only 60 minutes. The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences says a film must run longer than 40 minutes to qualify as a feature, so it is. I found myself invested in this story in a way that was unlike a short film or a TV show. It's whole vibe feels like a feature film. Plus it's for kids, so what the hey. I don't see why anyone who enjoys the first movie, wouldn't enjoy spending time with these characters again for a quick adventure.
   Ready for some weirdness? The third film in the series is called Part 2. Why? Because as it turns out, although this film was released after "Stitch! The Movie", the story takes place in between Part One and it's first released sequel. I wish I had known this before watching these films, I would have changed my viewing order.
   It should be noted that "Stitch! The Movie" ends with a cliff hanger suggesting that the next film will focus on resolving this ending. The concept is Lilo & Stitch tracking down all of the missing experiments. This is continued in "Lilo & Stitch: The Series" (2003-2006) which I haven't seen any of it's 65 episode, 2 season run.

"Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has A Glitch" (2005)
    As it turns out, Jumba didn't get to finish fine-tuning Stitch before getting arrested in the beginning of Part One, so now Stitch is reverting back to his wicked ways. The timing couldn't be worse, as Lilo is preparing for the big hula contest that her mom won when she was her age. Jumba makes a machine to fix Stitch's bad behavior. Now, if they can only find the little sucker to get him in it.
  
   Taking place in between the first film and "Stitch! The Movie", this entry expands the Stitch lore just enough to create this 68 minute adventure that gives you the opportunity to spend more time with these characters and I'm totally fine with that.


"Leroy & Stitch" (2006) 
   Lilo, Stitch, Jumba & Pleakley are honored by the Galactic Alliance for getting back all the experiments (and apparently turning them good. I didn't see the series where all of this happened.) Stitch, Jumba & Pleakley are separated from Lilo and each other, when they are given cool new occupations in space as a reward for a job well done. The time spent away from each other proves to be lonely for all of them. They reunite when Dr. Hämsterviel is broken out of prison and not only creates an evil version of Stitch named Leroy, but also clones him.
  
   This 72 minute Made for Disney Channel Movie, not only serves as the final sequel to the franchise, but also as the Television Series Finale. This is my least favorite of the franchise. It's the one that feels the least like a "Lilo & Stitch" film. It's the most Sci-Fi of the bunch with large portions of the story taking place in space. I think I would have appreciated this movie more if I had watched the series leading up to it. Watching it within the context of the four films, it feels busier than usual, with the tone not being as sweet and personal as usual. I did like it though and found it filled with exciting action moments. I have a feeling that if I were to watch it by itself and not as part of a marathon, it would play better for me.

   As of this writing, all four films are on DVD. "Lilo & Stitch" and "Lilo & Stitch 2" are on Blu-Ray as a Combo Pack. All four movies are temporarily on Netflix. Disney's new streaming platform, Disney + is right around the corner and I'm sure it will be the forever home for these films. I wouldn't doubt it if the series will pop up there as well. I enjoyed visiting the Lilo & Stitch franchise as a late summer movie marathon treat. Hawaii looks and feels like summer all year round so these movies definitely complement the heat of the season.
   Stitch is forever apart of my ohana. 

1 comment:

Double t said...

Never been a Disney fan,but I love Lilo and Stitch. Great film with a good message.