Friday, September 4, 2015

I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS, LITTLE GIRLS IN WHITE DRESSES THAT JUMP ROPE IN SLOW MOTION ARE FRICKIN' TERRIFYING


"A Nightmare On Elm Street" (1984)
Directed by Wes Craven
"A Nightmare On Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge" (1985)
Directed by Jack Sholder
   The first time that I saw "A Nightmare on Elm Street", I was a kid and freely admit that I couldn't make it through the whole thing. The funny thing is, this is the only horror film that I ever chickened out on and couldn't finish in my life. I was about 8 years old. My brother and I had seen it playing on cable and were excited to see it. There had been a buzz surrounding this film, all the cool kids at school had already seen it and I felt left out.
   We got as far as the scene where Freddy attacks Tina, before my brother and I both agreed that this was way too intense for us and we had to turn it off. Although I felt relief, I was still out of the loop as far as Freddy Krueger talk was concerned and I was a horror nerd failure.
   When "A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge" came out, I was a year older and determined to redeem myself. I had a plan. I asked my mom if I could host a slumber party and rent "A Nightmare on Elm Street Parts 1 & 2" for the evening's entertainment. She agreed and I invited my two closest friends, telling them we were having an "A Nightmare on Elm Street" Double Feature. As a child, it never dawned on me that there was a chance that one or both films may not have been available to rent at the local video store. Luckily, there was no disappointment, both films were available for rent and WE got them!
   I had a theory that although I had no shame in not finishing "A Nightmare on Elm Street" with my brother, I was convinced that if my friends were near, I would be too embarrassed to chicken out in front of them. Not only was I committing to finally sitting through "A Nightmare on Elm Street" in it's entirety, I had also committed to it's sequel.
  My plan worked. Having my friends with me gave me the courage to watch both Elm Street films all the way through this time. Since that night, I have seen all of Freddy's films and have re-watched part one the most, being that it is my favorite of the franchise.
   In my opinion, Wes Craven's original "A Nightmare On Elm Street" is a classic film, worthy of being added to the National Film Registry.

(Artwork by Isaac Keith Martinez)

No comments: